22 augustus 2022

Callum Innes #4




Callum Innes' studio with "Untitled Lamp Black / Quinacridone Gold", Oslo, 2020.


Callum Innes' studio with "Opera Rose / May Green", Oslo, 2020.


Callum Innes' studio with "Lamp Black / Titanium Yellow Gold", Oslo, 2020.


View from the studio

"In Norway, the lockdown began on 12 March. I had decided to stay in Oslo, where my partner Kristin Nordhøy lives, rather than Edinburgh, where I have had a studio for many years. Fortunately I had just fitted out a space where I could work. The studio is on the 7th floor of a former industrial building which used to manufacture steel cables for the oil industry. It is among the tallest buildings in the City, overlooking the Oslo Fjord. I have been cycling to the studio each morning through empty streets from our flat in the centre of Oslo. Though now the City is coming to life again.
....
Unlike my ground floor Edinburgh studio where the light is even, here the light is constantly present and moving. I am surrounded by landscape. I have views out to the west, east and south. I started using this gold, seen in Untitled Lamp Black / Quinacridone Gold, in late January. It was dark by late afternoon and the sunsets across the Fjord were quite amazing. The light is very direct. If I am not looking out, I have to pull the blinds down. This Norwegian light is changing my work, especially the new watercolours. They feel especially of this time. There is a lot of silence here. I am used to a busy studio. But here there is a quietness and intimacy."
(bron: Kettle's Yard)

> Callum Innes

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten