22 maart 2019

René Magritte #4


Duane Michals: Rene Magritte, 1965. (Collectie: SFMOMA)


Rene and Georgette (Multiple Exposure), 1965.


Nude Painting (Interior Magritte Home), 1965.


Terrarium ( Interior Magritte's Home), 1965.


Rene Magritte in Bowler Hat (Multiple Exposure), 1965.

"....
'Among my pantheon of myths, Rene Magritte casts the furthest shadow of illumination,' says Duane Michals.

'I was 33 and he was 65 when I visited him in Brussels. He was a contradiction, a surrealist who lived like a banker with the kaleidoscopic mind of an alchemist. He was very kind to me, giving me carte blanche to his treasures. I walked all the way back to New York from Belgium. My visit still lingers with the eyes of my portfolio.'
...."
(bron: Time, foto's: Duane Michals)







"'If I indulge myself and surrender to memory, I can still feel the knot of excitement that gripped me as I turned the corner into Rue Mimosas, looking for the house of Rene Magritte. It was August, 1965. I was thirty three years old and about to meet the man whose profound and witty surrealist paintings had contradicted my assumptions about photography.'
...."
(bron: lens culture, foto's: Duane Michals)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten