04 juli 2017

Gavin Turk


Gavin Turk in his studio, 2016(?).

"....
I get up around 7am, because one of my children is still of school age.

I’m not very good at routines. I try to get to the studio as soon as I can but there always seems to be a sea of things to do before I get out of the door, and often it's 10am before I arrive at the studio. I don’t know quite what happens in those three hours.

My studio is quite close to my house in Hackney. I like to vary how I get there – sometimes I use my Vespa, other times I drive or I get a lift. In summer I might walk, but not often, because usually I'm on the late side – I rush everywhere. Life's always been like that.

I've had this studio for about 14 years.It used to be one large building – I still call it a cave – a furniture factory, but now it has various partitions that allow me to do various different types of work. I have clean spaces and a spray room, areas for metal working, wood working, and screen printing, two offices, storage space and a kitchen.

I have a small team of people but they don't all work everyday. When everybody's here, there are around eight people, which makes for a lively creative atmosphere, even if I wasn’t there, but hopefully it gets more lively when I am. I've always worked with technical help, so there has always been a social element to my practice, someone to turn around and talk to about the work. Not necessarily on a practical level, on a philosophical level, too.
....
Before I had kids, I used to work in a very blinkered way. My method was to have an idea and then just stay in the studio until it was made, so that would be day and night, day and night, day and night. Then I might wait ages for another idea. Now I have quite a structured week – it took me quite a long time to get into some sort of pattern.
...."
(bron: The Telegraph)


Gavin Turk in his studio. (bron: Pangaea Sculptors Centre)


Gavin Turk in his studio, East End, London. (bron: billionaire)

> Gavin Turk

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten