07 oktober 2014

Balthus #6






















The Balthus Iinventory. (bron: Interview Magazine, Purple.fr Magazine, Michele Filomeno)

"I was introduced to the family of Balthus in 2003 and started to visit The Grand Chalet some time after.
As most of my work is concerned with the documentation of objects, I was asked by the Balthus Foundation to make a study of the Tablier of Balthus in 2010.
After completing this large diptych of three meters, I continued to work in the studio of Balthus scanning possessions from his working life.
The studio remains intact since his death in 2001 and there is a sort of unaccountable feeling which pervades the atmosphere.
I wanted to try to describe the space as it really is; both brutal and poetic.
Sometimes I removed the objects from where they were situated and placed them on the scanner and other times I would turn the scanner upside down and place it directly onto the object .
I would find things in discarded piles such as the fabric covered with orange and green paint, or another one impregnated with rust pigment.
In one corner of the studio white pigment had fallen onto the floor many years ago and so I simply scanned the floor itself.
The last cigarettes that he he smoked remain in the ashtray which is both poignant and disturbing, more so when juxtaposed with his reading glasses.
One feels close to the man via his possessions and here in his last space of work and contemplation these few remains still speak of him." (bron: Katerine Jebb Official, tekst en foto's: Katerine Jebb)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten