18 maart 2013

Puala Rego #2


Paula Rego at work in her studio. (bron: uit het book Sanctuary: Britain's Artists and their Studios, uitg: Thames and Hudson, foto: Robin Fried)

(bron: WetCanvas)


Paula Rego in the studio with her triptych, The Pillowman, 2004. (bron: Marlborough, foto: Eamonn McCabe(?))

"I live in Hampstead and my studio is a short bus ride away in Kentish Town. I come here every day except Sunday. It used to be a wood workshop and gets marvellous daylight. There's a lot of wall space. Once it is bare I want to fill it up again.

Along with more paintings next door, this is a whole year's work. The pictures here are from a series called "Human Cargo", about women who are transported from one country to another to be sold. The mannequins are my props. I make them with my assistant, Lila, from plastic skeletons used by medical students, covered with cotton wool and stockings. I set up the scene and then try to draw it. The man is holding a flower with a dong - it could be a tongue and it could be a phallus - to try to inspire the women. That was improvised at the last moment. I also use live models. In the picture at the front, you can see Lila is sitting on the cases and also crouched at the front. At the back there's a fat, blind sister; she's part of a story based on an incident in Portugal, where a blind woman was put outside in all weathers by her jealous sister until eventually her heart gave in."
(bron: The Guardian)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten