woensdag, september 04, 2019

Winslow Homer #5


Winslow Homer's home and studio, exterior view, west side.


Paintingroom entry.




The paintingroom.




Livingroom, 1936.



"In 1884, preeminent American painter Winslow Homer moved to his family’s summer estate on Prouts Neck in Scarborough. Homer hired famous Portland architect John Calvin Stevens to redesign his father’s carriage house and turn the old stables into his studio and residence.

From 1884 till his death in 1910, Homer spent most of his time here on the rugged shore line, a setting which inspired many of his famous seascapes. After Homer’s death, the building was passed down through the family who saw to its maintenance but also made a number of significant alterations to the structure.

In January of 2006, the Portland Museum of Art purchased Winslow Homer’s Studio and retained Mills Whitaker Architects to begin planning its restoration.

The restoration process unraveled modern alterations made to the building by Homer’s descendants through the years and restored the dwelling and studio of one of America’s most extraordinary painters.

With the help of a historic structures report produced by Barba+Wheelock Architects, Mills Whitaker restored the studio as accurately as possible to its configuration on the date of Homer’s death in 1910.
...."
(bron: Maine Preservation)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten