25 maart 2015

Antony Gormley #4

Antony Gormley's drawing studio.

"This is my drawing studio near the Eurostar track as it snakes into the new London terminal. It is part of the studio that David Chipperfield designed for us four years ago. I still cannot believe that we have such a good place to work: silent, light, solid. You reach it up its own staircase next to the big studio. I can hear things going on next door when the assistants are in, and even open some double doors to see, but on the whole this is a separate space. It is my thinking space where I have my books, my music and lots of plan chests, now rather overfull with drawings going back to some made in India in the mid-70s. The studio is somewhere between a kitchen and a laboratory, but it has to be empty, clean and warm; white walls, underfloor heating, clear of old stuff.

You cross the open front yard and go up the stairs, then bang, you close the big steel door and you are in a place that is its own world; no windows. A place apart where anything can happen: great.

Mario from Arte Continua has asked me to make a design for a plate for the Orta project that gets water to the north-west regions of China through art. I didn't know what to do, so I dripped some puddles on some acetate sheets and this man appears who is running, dancing or hanging down from them. I hope one will be used for the plate.

The brushes are what I use. They have to dry hanging up. You can see that I have not used the big one that I bought in Singapore three years ago. Probably waiting for the right moment. Like the acetate sheets.

The table was given to me by the Serpentine Gallery. It was made to show Blinky Palermo drawings. I have left the void top empty in tribute to him, hoping that something of his style and clarity will be transferred. The little white box is full of lovely chocolate biscuits from Thaddeus Ropac, from Ratzka's Salzburg, great with green tea if you are feeling peckish. The apron is what I wear when I draw, I have ruined so many trousers." (bron: The Guardian)

> Antony Gormley

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten